Know your audience is such a cliché when it comes to Creative Writing

Know your audience is such a cliché writing advice. Perhaps its helpful when you are writing for a particular audience and you already know your crowd. For emerging writers, knowing what you are interested to write about is more important. Writing comes first, the audience comes next. At university, corporate writing and perhaps magazines' articles writing, knowing your audience is important, you write pretty to an established standards and interests.

I differ on knowing my audience before the creative work is published. Not exactly knowing my audience before publishing on this blog is freeing to explore the writing and the ideas that comes out of this medium. Sometime the immediate audience or even audience in the same era are not interested in particular artist, or writer body of work. Caring too much about what's the audience currently wants might rob you of your best creativity. Be brave and write creatively, you might discover an eloquent, tweet, song, poem, non-fiction article, short story or a novel in you.

Tell me your thoughts on this, thanks for reading.

Photo credit: my original photo

Comments

1st Book Review: Girl Saves Boy by Steph Bowe (Fiction Novel)

What is the difference between TV Soap & TV Drama?

Why I’m watching My Kitchen Rules, and it isn’t for the cooking

I'm back to blog