What is the difference between TV Soap & TV Drama?

The difference is - from my own observations without googleing for the answer or checking a reputable journal that deals with this kind of topic- my answer is:

A TV Soap never ends, it goes on and on like Neighbours and the Bold and the Beautiful on most days of the year for years.  I'm on and off watcher of the two soaps because the plot never ends and you can easily pick up the plot and catch up on the scriptwriters new endeavour.

The time of the TV Soap is not aired at prime time, instead they are aired during the day up until 7:30pm. Also the TV Soap is 1/2 hour format with daily time slot.

On the other hand TV dramas like Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Packed to the Rafters and Offspring are one hour format with prime time air time. And usually they run for one season with less than twenty episodes to go until their next return in another season or in another year. So they give us the viewer a bit of a break. Not because they are bad TV dramas but because as committed viewer I have invested my time on following the characters and the TV dramas' plot, which can sometimes be taxing on emotions as the TV dramas deals with various real life dilemmas, like relationships, work, dreams, ambitions and tragedies. Not that TV Soaps don't deal with these issues, they do, but in very slow motion kind of way.

In my previous post 'Im back to blog' I wrote to compare three Australian TV dramas in my next post, so I guess I'll leave that for another time. Please leave your comment if you agree or disagree with my observation.

Comments

1st Book Review: Girl Saves Boy by Steph Bowe (Fiction Novel)

Why I’m watching My Kitchen Rules, and it isn’t for the cooking

I'm back to blog